Wednesday, June 27, 2007

exhausted

yes, in fact i'm too exhausted to use capital letters anywhere in this blog. all apologies. i've been working so much so that i can go to my brother's wedding in wisconsin and save money to go back to school. thank god i will be done with my job in january. it's not so bad, but lets face it... i'm just not secretary material! organizing supply closets, assembling report, and answering phones is just not my passion... call me crazy! i need to be intellectually stimulated! i need to use my brain to think of things other than who gets what mail or who is at which meeting. i should be at these meetings! this job is mind numbing. at least i can read and study on my own while i'm at work. in fact, that is what i do for 4 hours of my day at work! no wonder i'm just a "satisfactory" secretary.
ok, back to work on my application essay
here is what I've got so far, but it has to amazing because i MUST get back to school. yes, it was worth capitalizing must, but i must admit i cheated and used the caps button instead of the shift. one key at a time...


My time away from school has made me realize how much I aspire to proceed on the path of working toward my degree. I have discovered a true thirst of knowledge in my personal studies, expanding my knowledge of cultural and religious studies. This knowledge has peaked my interest in how diverse members of a community coexist with one another.
One particular course I participated in during my time at the University of New Mexico made a lasting impression on me. I enrolled in a freshman learning group course, designed to allow students to take two courses in tandem. It was a great way to challenge myself by combining an English course with something new. This is when I was introduced to the University’s community and regional planning program.
What a breath of fresh air! This is an interest I had been cultivating all of my life. Growing up in a very small town, the proverbial “There is nothing to do!” seemed to be very prevalent. This was when my curiosity of making communities vibrant and livable was peaked. I was involved in a committee to create a community center, which I was able to help design, but unfortunately was never able to be built. More and more I find myself evaluating neighborhoods, and speculating what could be done to make them better places to live, work, and play.
Over the past year I have had the opportunity to work for an architectural planning firm. Observing the planners has given me a drive to achieve my goals, and begin the course of pursuing my passion.



note: this is a first and very rough draft! input welcome

No comments: